Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trying not to die

We learned a valuable lesson yesterday: Do not do hill repeats in 98 degree heat.

I had decided that we needed to get our running out of the way early yesterday and that became a mistake. We ran at 4:00 and it was so blisteringly hot. I didn't think it would really be that bad, but we learned better.

After we had run 2 of our repeats, Evan said he needed to take a breather so we sat in the shade for just a second before trying one more. Halfway up the hill, I felt like we might be making a huge mistake and decided that maybe we should just head back.

As the sun beat down on us, I realized that I was really starting to feel the effects of the heat and told Evan that we should take the shortcut home. A little while later, we made it back into the house, but I felt a little nauseous for about a half hour. I'm pretty sure Evan was feeling the same.

So maybe we'll watch out for those really hot days and try to push those runs back a little. Today, we're planning to do our fast pace runs inside on a treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment